We all had that mom or grandma who insisted that we eat our veggies. Well, it turns out that they really are important – especially if you are trying to overcome food cravings while on a health or weight loss journey.
Here’s a quick summary of why eating more veggies can help you curb your cravings:
- When your brain sees a huge plate of colors foods (which is why I always say use the Three Color Rule) your brain will see a huge abundance of food, vs when you have a burger or slice of pizza in front of you. When you consume vegetables you are in essence tricking your brain into thinking you are eating plenty of foods without feeling like you’re on some crazy weird restrictive diet!
- Prepare the veggies on your plate by 2 or 3 different methods. This again gives your brain (and your taste buds) a sensory overload!
- The amount of calories you are consuming will be cut way down while keeping you fuller longer.
- Vegetables contain large amounts of water and will give you extra hydration (in addition to the recommendation of drinking half of your body weight in ounces of water per day).
- You are eating foods in their wholesome state, created by nature and not in a building somewhere.
- When you feel good you tend to make better choices. Vegetables help you boost your immune system which in turn means a healthier overall life.
- When you control your insulin spikes you eliminate cravings and eating vegetables lowers your blood sugar so you have a natural way to level out your insulin production.
So, if you want to avoid those nasty uncontrollable cravings, it is very important to add as many different types of vegetables into the daily meal plan as possible. Have them with every single meal: breakfast, lunch, dinner and snack time. With hundreds of varieties available, there are literally thousands of recipe possibilities.
My name is Sue Hall and I am a Certified Health Coach and Ketogenic Living Specialist. I teach people how to quickly turn their bodies into fat burners and lose weight, get lean and live clean!